When Jon and I first came out to visit the farm where we now live, one of the first details we noticed was that there was a treehouse out back. We knew that C & G would love having a treehouse to play in, having asked for one multiple times in the past.

After we moved in, the girls began playing up there a lot. It was a ship, a castle, a fort, an airplane. But in the last two years since we moved here, the treehouse, which was already showing signs of age when we moved in, eventually became too bedraggled to be safe for the girls to play in. The rails were falling off and the treehouse would even sway in the wind because as the tree to which the treehouse was attached had grown over time, the treehouse had become unstable. Plus, the ladder had broken.

About three weeks ago, Jon went out to take a close look at the treehouse to see if it was salvageable or if it was too far gone to be saved. After his review of the state it was in, he decided that this was a flip situation, not a flop one. He decided to undertake a total treehouse transformation.

Here’s how the treehouse looked on the day Jon started the project. The wood leaned up against it is some left over from an old swing set that Jon dismantled sometime back. He figured he could use some of it for his treehouse project. He ended up using almost none of it because the more he worked on the treehouse, the more he realized that he wanted it to look nice with new wood. This “before” photo doesn’t really accurately depict what bad shape the treehouse was in because it doesn’t show the side where all the spindle railings had fallen off.

 

total treehouse transformation

He wanted to save as much of the original treehouse as possible to make for a smaller project but once he started, Jon ended up basically dismantling the whole treehouse, except for the floor.

 

Here’s the half finished treehouse. You can see that the corners where the sides meet still weren’t aligned yet.

 

You can see that Jon added extra supports on the underside of the treehouse. He added these supports after detaching the house entirely from where it was originally attached to that tree. This was because the tree had grown a lot over the years, warping and buckling the treehouse wood attached to it. Jon reattached it to the tree using all new hardware.

 

Another afternoon of work on the treehouse, getting things more squared up. The treehouse will never be completely level because it’s attached to trees which are, of course, not completely level.

 

treehouse makeover

Now we’re getting somewhere! The place where the two sides come together still wasn’t flush, plus Jon still hadn’t sunk the post you see leaning against the treehouse into the ground (he added this extra post to the treehouse so that the trees alone don’t have to support it)

 

Almost finished.

 

treehouse makeover

Voila! The newly refurbished treehouse is complete.

 

treehouse makeover

The girls are once again happily playing in their much loved, and now much safer treehouse.

 

One of the things that impresses me about Jon is that he just knows how to do stuff. Like, he would tell you that he has no carpentry skills, yet he pulled out a sketch pad, some measuring tape and a few power tools and completed this project.

Next up: some porch painting and deck sealing.

 

 

 

 

Facebook Comments
Next Post
Previous Post